Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque
- 2 medium butternut squashes
- 1 medium onion
- A small piece of fresh ginger, about 1/4 tsp.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 fresh sage leaves, finely minced.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the squashes in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds and strings. Peel the onions and cut in half.
Place the onions, peel ginger, and garlic in the hollow of the squashes, and place them skin side up on a lightly oiled roasting pan, so that the onion and garlic are completely covered by the squash.
Roast for 1.5 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Scoop flesh from the rind. Put garlic, onion and squash into a blender. Grate the ginger down with a microplane grater into the blender. Puree the mixture until smooth.
Pour mixture into a pot, add stock and cream and warm to a near simmer, but do not boil. Add salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add pepper to taste.